Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Excuse me as I kiss the Sky!

When is the last time you heard somebody saying something good about daydreaming? It is almost as rare as hearing someone saying how much they enjoy going to the dentist. Calling someone a daydreamer is just like calling someone a slacker, a space cadet, a flake, or a time waster. One of the main reasons why daydreaming gets such a bad rap is because usually when people are daydreaming they are not being very productive. Not being productive in a society such as ours is largely frowned upon. We are always being constantly pushed and urged to succeed, achieve, and produce results all the time. The thing that many people do not realize is that daydreaming is not that bad of a thing. Daydreaming can even boost productivity sometimes in situations when it seems like being productive is just not an option.

The workplace is probably the main place where daydreaming gets the most bad publicity. When you are at work you are suppose to be doing a job. You are not supposed to be thinking about unicorns running up the pyramids of Egypt and then jumping off the top and descending slowly with military parachutes! That just may affect your productivity. Another bad thing about daydreaming is that some people have a certain look when they daydream. That spaced out dazed and confused look if you will. Some even take it to extremes like smiling into the sky or even drooling on themselves. If you are an offender of these actions you need to stop this. You are making daydreaming hard for those of us who do it in a professional and incognito fashion. My daydreaming is more stealth than the Navy Seals!

Daydreaming can also be a problem in places like school. In a way it is more damaging to do it at school because you’re not hurting anyone but yourself. Some teachers’ lectures are boring to the point that daydreaming is unavoidable though. It is either daydream or go to sleep. I am going to roll with daydreaming since that cannot get me kicked out of class or put on the spot in front of all my classmates for nodding off or worst case scenario, snoring out loud.

Despite all the negative attention that daydreaming gets, I feel that daydreaming is an essential piece to the creative puzzle. Daydreaming is kind of like brainstorming without writing it down or saying it out loud. Letting your mind just wander and go off into uncharted places can lead to surprising outcomes. Take simple inventions for example, a majority of these inventions did not require any physics classes to come up with. Things like the toilet paper roll, the Post It, the clothes hangar, or the hacky sack. These things were probably thought of while daydreaming. Even things that many would think were invented in laboratories for medical purposes I think were first daydreamed about. I think the condom was invented in a daydream. Somebody was sitting around probably with some unwanted kids, or even worse maybe an STD. I think he was daydreaming to himself and thought, “Ya know, maybe if I put this bag over my private area during sex I can eliminate a lot of problems for myself in the future.” It worked out great! He probably stopped burning and stopped making so many kids he could not support. He killed two birds with one stone! Daydreaming might also be able to help you prepare for events that may occur in your life that need practice. For example, say you are going on a date in a few days. That means you have two days to daydream and walk through every event that you can think of that may happen while you are on that date. Everything from the conversations you may want to have, the way you are going to dance with them, all the way to how you think the night is going to turn out. I do not know about you, but I daydream about scoring before I go on dates. But that is just me, maybe, I do not know. Those daydreams can help you organize and come up with a good strategy for things you are going to do rather than just going into them blind with no plan.

Above all I think that daydreaming is good because it gives you a break from reality without actually having to step through a time portal or be hypnotized, or some other weird thing. Daydreaming is like a mini vacation that you get to take whenever you want. It is a very important thing to do because let’s face it; the real world can be very boring and uneventful at times. Unless you have a super cool life you are probably daydreaming a whole lot! I daydream about 70% of the time I think. The world in my head is much more fun than this one. I cannot even tell you how many exotic women come visit me on an hourly basis. Or how many secret passageways I have flowing through the planet to my secret night clubs underground. But I have noticed that the more outlandish ideas I come up with in my head, the more realistic ideas I come up with in the real world. I guess daydreaming is kind of like exercise for your brain. If that is true than I am sure there are many brains out there that are in tip top shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment